LC Photo




Los Cancioneros - A brief history

Los Cancioneros began in 1949 when a dozen neighbors in the Hollywood Riviera section of Torrance California formed a small community chorus as an independent, non-profit organization. The founding singers selected a Spanish name meaning "The Singers" to reflect the Spanish heritage of the South Bay and Peninsula area. Barbara Mabin was the founding director.

Over 60 years and more than a dozen directors later, Los Cancioneros Master Chorale still brings excellent choral music to the South Bay community. The group has grown in size to over 70 singers and has appeared with other area choirs, instrumental groups, and orchestras. In May 1994, the Chorale performed at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Los Cancioneros toured Europe, including Berlin, Budapest, Prague, and Vienna in July 1997 and completed a successful concert tour of Victoria and Vancouver, British Columbia, in the summer of 2001.

The group has been awarding annual music scholarships to local students since 1960.

The Chorale's repertoire ranges from the works of the masters of all musical periods to contemporary works by sacred and secular composers.

Los Cancioneros Master Chorale is a non-profit corporation dependent upon membership dues, concert receipts, advertizing, and donations to cover expenses and to award annual music scholarships. You are cordially invited to support us by becoming a member of the Los Cancioneros Master Chorale Association.

We are proud to announce the affiliation of Los Cancioneros Master Chorale and the Ellis-Orpheus Men's Chorus as of May 15, 2001. Established in 1888, the Ellis chorus is the oldest active musical organization in the city of Los Angeles.

In 2003, Los Cancioneros Master Chorale was awarded a grant from the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. Proceeds from this grant help defray our costs of renting the Armstrong Theater for our performances.